Work Is A Four Letter Word
I also did the music for Peter Hall's first feature film, Work is a Four Letter Word. I did the electronic part of the music... the bloopy bits when they'd taken the magic mushrooms.
--Delia, in the Surface interview
From the opening titles:
- Stars: David Warner, Cilla Black
- Written by: Jeremy Brooks, adapted from the play "EH?" by Henry Livings
- Director of Photography: Gilbert Taylor
- Editor: Jack Harris
- Art Director: Philip Harrison
- Production Manager: Donald Toms
- Assistent Director: Claude Watson
- Sound recordists: Robert MacPhee, Gordon K. McDallum
- Music Composed and Conducted by: Guy Woolfenden
- Associate Producer: Ham Haysom
- Production Controller: Tom White
- Producer: Thomas Clyde
- Director: Peter Hall
From the closing titles:
- Electronic music by Delia Derbyshire
Spectrograms are from A(55Hz) to A(3520Hz) at 200 pixels per second except 9) at 100pps.
1. First theme: "I love you, Betty" (0:15)
2. Second theme; semitone chord theme: "Mrs Murray? You're beautiful" (0:38)
3. Delia's theme; first theme reprise: "Val, oh Val, you have such lovely ears" (0:15)
4. Climbing theme; second theme: "They had been climbing, it seemed, for hours" (0:59)
5. Spangles; Delia's theme (0:08)
6. Second theme reprise (0:39)
7. Second theme slow: "I'm just gonna see to me mushrooms, Betty" (0:15)
8. Acciaccatura theme (0:13)
9. Semitone cheeps and mushroom-eating finale (3:20)
- DD080404 Letter dated 1st Jan 1968 saying that Kaleidophon lost money on this job
- DD084547-DD085106 16 pages of Delia's notes
- DD085123-DD085526 Cue sheets for all sound effects used in the film
- DD085538-DD085802 8 pages of Delia notes and sound diagrams
- Delia's manuscript scores:
DD092350: "Tune 3", "Tune 2A", Tune 2Z"
DD092413: "Tune 3"
DD092425: "Tune 4"
DD092445: Side 1 of 3: "OK", "B/W Waltz"
DD092511: Side 2 of 3: "Tune 1"
DD092522: Side 3 of 3
- DD239 "Work is a 4 letter word: Master tape 3"
- DD240 "Work is a 4 letter word: BH label, plus numerous labels"
- DD241 "Work is a 4 letter word"
The Performing Right Society's list of works by Delia Ann Derbyshire has:
Title: Work Is A Four Letter Word Writer(s): Derbyshire Delia Ann Creation date: 19 November 1996
- You can buy it on DVD or VHS from The Video beat