Radio Newsreel was a news programme produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation between 1940 and 1988, which had as title music the pompous military theme "Imperial Echoes" by Arnold Safroni.
Delia's papers contain 20 sheets of her notes for the creation of a new Radio Newsreel signature tune for producer Harry F. Brown, with work to start 26th July 1963. The work was commissioned in 1962.
The piece was never used and when John Simpson became the new producer of Radio Newsreel in May 1968, "I was a producer now, in charge of entire programmes, including our ageing flagship Radio Newsreel with its delightfully bombastic theme music Imperial Echoes."
In her papers, the piece is referred to as "RNR".
DD164000: Typewritten description of the sort of sounds Harry Brown would like & Delia's drawings of tape-splicing schemes
DD164029: Notes "Typewriter Tape"
DD164055: Notes "Tune 1"
DD164114: Notes "8 track" with morse code
DD164127: Notes "1800c/s. wob."
DD164139: Notes "Drums"
DD164157: Notes "Muirhead"
DD164209: Notes "cont."
DD164227: Notes "BOSHS"
DD164239: Notes and diagrams
DD164254: Notes "Dub drums with rhythm"
DD164312: Notes "Tape IV / Tape V / Tape VI"
DD164325: Notes "HUM"
DD164340: Notes and diagrams
DD154626: Diagrams "f+E+n^-2.75 in dBv2"
DD164358: Diagrams "BB & MB"
DD164409: Diagrams "Wh.n piano"
DD164422: Notes "Try"
DD164444: Notes "typewriter" and "Tape 1-19"
- First broadcast on 13th May 2017 on BBC Radio 3 as part of the programme Monteverdi 450 at 1:25:55.
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
- Radio Newsreel's article on wikipedia.
- Audio Identities: Radio news themes, imagedissectors.com, 2010. Retrieved 4 September 2010
- The Tape Library List's entry for TRW 4070: "Radio Newsreel Signature Tune".
- DD164000: The sort of sounds Harry Brown would like and Delia's drawings of tape-splicing schemes.
- DD074230: "R.W - 26.7.63": work to be carried out by Delia and colleagues in the following months.
- John Simpson, Strange places, Questionable people, p.85 on Google Books.